Thursday, June 10, 2010

Camping People

There are camping people, like my husband, and then there are non-campers, like me.

My husband grew up camping, backpacking in the Sierras, rockclimbing at Joshua Tree, and water skiing at every lake within a weekends driving distance. I grew up staying at the Hilton or Hyatt.

So, how does a non-camper become a camper? This is the issue I am dealing with at the moment. I thought it would be fun to get a group of friends together to go camping. Let the kids play, the adults could bond...this sounds great, right? It is, but there is one problem...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CAMP!

So, this is what I have done to prepare for our camping trip: I handpainted really cute t-shirts for the kids to wear (they glow in the dark and will look so cute in pictures), bought glowsticks(so we don't lose anyone after dark + they are fun), washed all the sleeping bags, and I have made a lot of lists!

After talking with my friends that are going, I realize I may be ill prepared.

This is what my friends have done to get ready: loaded their truck bed with firewood, made sure their gunrack was good and secure(I'm assuming the guns will be used to scare away the bears), made pancake batter and froze it(I don't quite understand this yet, but somehow it will be used for a pancake breakfast, and filled up propane tanks for barbequing.

OK, I get it...I am packing as if we are going to a resort and all the amenities will magically appear. I really hope there is a fully stocked mini-bar at our campsite...WISH ME LUCK!

3 comments:

  1. Princess is a Princess is a Princess! Whatever you do don't forget your flip flops for the showers and toilet seat covers for the outhouse.A little scented cream will help when you start to get gamey.I really think there is a specific gene for camping and you don't have it. Have fun and while you're camping plan your next resort vacation you will have earned it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pick up all the tips. We'll need them for our Yosemite trip. Dont' forget the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See-- this is why we love you. You and your hairdryer are not afraid to embrace a little dirt and grime. Just think how amazed the lady at Happy Nails will be on your next visit when she gets a look at those toes. :-O

    ReplyDelete