Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cutting the Cord

There have been a series of events in the last few days that have left me wondering when is the right time to "cut the cord"?

I am guilty of it...I baby my boys. I do everything for them. Isn't that what a mother is supposed to do? Make their life easier and so comfortable they never want to leave home?

I should clarify a few things:

First, I don't run around with a pillow in front of them in case they fall (I bubble wrap the neighborhood); Second, I don't load their toothbrushes for them (I will on occasion brush their teeth if I see too much slime); Third, I don't do their homework for them (I have been know to pull out an awesome posterboard at midnight, and get an A)

So, what is my roll if I am not to make life easier?

Do I say anything when they come out of their room in a mis-matching plaid outfit?
Do I brush their hair for them when they decide to leave the house without even a thought of a comb or brush?
Do I cut their food for them when otherwise we will be sitting at the table for hours waiting for them to finish cutting their butter-soft filet?

Apparently, 13 is too late to cut the cord. Now I have a lot of make-up work to do. Beginning with how to apply sunscreen so as not to get a blistering burn. Did I mention I still apply sunscreen?

When do YOU think is the right time to "cut the cord"?

3 comments:

  1. According to Zack we were supposed to cut the cord before the age of 13. Like Mother, Like Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, you're still applying Julie's sunscreen?

    ReplyDelete