Thursday, September 16, 2010

Scared of Bees

Last month, while packing up after a delightfully relaxing day at the beach, I was stung by a bee.

The nasty little honey sucker landed on my arm and stung me. I had no idea he was even there until I felt the stinging pain. I quickly brushed him off, removed the stinger and licked my wound(just kidding). I did pour cold water over it to take the "sting" away. I paused just briefly, long enough to cry my eyes out. We finished packing up our things and headed for the car.
About 5 minutes had passed at this point. As I was walking, I started to feel woozy; nausea, dizzines, headache...I thought I was going to pass out. I sat down in the shade behind the lifeguard tower. I needed to pull myself together. My mind started racing...was I, in fact, going to pass out?, throw up?, stop breathing?...oh yes, I went there.
The feeling passed, so we began our trek up to the car.
By the next day the sting site had swollen up to the size of a golf ball. The day after that, the swelling had spread and I had little bumps all around it.
I went to the Dr. because I was sure they would have to amputate.
"That's nothing" the Dr. said, "you should have seen the patient who came in earlier today...his elbow was the size of a baseball". Was that supposed to make me feel better?
Diagonosis: Allegic reaction...It's a miracle...I would live!

Yes, I would live, but with a conditioned response to bee sightings. (PTSD, self diagnosed)
Now, when I see a bee, I run for the hills (imagine Phoebe from Friends, a run like that would surely scare the bee away).
I must find a way for myself and bees, everywhere, to coexist. Any suggestions?

1 comment: