Tuesday, September 14, 2010

4th Grade Homework

So, it has begun.

The 4th grade year is a rude awakening for students and parents EVERYWHERE! I went through it 4 years ago with my oldest son and last night was reminded of it when my youngest son was assigned homework in every subject. REALLY?!

I knew it was coming and yet it was still a shock to my system, and everyone else in the household.

I think it was around 6:00pm last night that we found ourselves in a pow wow discussing a 4th grade word problem. Now, I think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person (OK, exceptionally intelligent, but don't let the cat out of the bag); so, why is it that I can't for the life of me figure out a basic 4th grade division word problem?

I sat by my son's side in case he had questions on any of his homework. I answered all of his questions with the utmost of confidence. Then it was time for math...

He shows me the problem and I say, "Why don't we have Dad help you with your math". He replies, "so, you will help me with all my other subjects and since you aren't very good at math (the nerve) Dad will help me with math"? "NO", I say. "I can help you with math too, Dad just LIKES to help you with math" (lie, no one likes to do 4th grade math).

I've got my dunce hat on for at least another year; are you smarter than a 4th grader?

1 comment: