Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Scared Straight

I've said it before and I will say it again...

Daniel makes me laugh AND cry more than anyone I know!

Yesterday, while riding his scooter in our quiet, little culdesac, Daniel nearly ran into a car. Before you read on in panic...Daniel is fine. It's his mother who is an emotional wreck.

Daniel has an electric scooter, it goes up to about 10 mph. He scooters all over our neighborhood, which is made up of only 3 culdesacs. It's great for the kids because we don't have much drive through traffic.

This is what happened...

Gary was outside playing basketball, I was in the house reading, while the boys were roaming the neighborhood. Zack was on his bike, ahead of Daniel. Daniel was leaving our culdesac to catch up with Zack. As he rounded the corner...there was a car that had stopped in the middle of the road. He swerved out of the way, at the last minute. Luckily, for him, it was our neighbors and they had seen Daniel coming on his scooter and realized he wasn't paying attention. They stopped their car so as not to hit him. I am so thankful to Danielle and Ty for being so cautious!

Gary didn't see what had happened, so when Danielle and Ty pulled into their driveway they stopped to let Gary know how close Daniel had come to hitting them. Well, by this point Daniel was pretty shook up and realized he was about to get into trouble(he is not allowed out of the culdesac on his bike or scooter until we are sure he is truly paying attention to his surroundings). He circled around a few times until the neighbors went inside and Gary called him over. Gary didn't even have to say anything and Daniel burst into tears. He knew how lucky he was.

We had a long talk with Daniel (his learning lesson) and it was at this point that I pulled out all the stops. "You could have been severly injured or you could have been KILLED"! (I wanted to make sure he undersood the consequences of not paying attention)

I am still shaking in my boots over the thought of him getting hit by a car! This is the part that makes me want to cry!

When we asked him if he understood how important it was to ALWAYS pay attention when riding his bike or scooter, he said he did. I believe he does!!!

We told him that he should be thanking Danielle and Ty for being so cautious. This is the part that makes me laugh. He said,"like the Little Green Men from Toy Story"?
Huh???

You know..."WE ARE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL"

Yes, Daniel, Like that!

I have a great video of Daniel riding around on his scooter, but it is on my other computer, which at the moment is being exorcised of all viruses. I promise I will post it just as soon as I get it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment