Sunday, August 1, 2010

Confusion of the Senses

Let me set the scene…

I came downstairs to find Gary sitting on the living room couch; watching TV and playing online poker. Addy, our dog, was sitting under the dining room table; looking a bit surprised to see me. The boys were in the family room doing their thing…watching TV.

I sat down opposite Gary on the chaise lounge when we both heard Addy crunching on something.

Without stirring from his spot or even removing his gaze from the computer screen, Gary said, “What is she chewing on”? I could feel the roll of his eyes as he said it. We are accustomed to hearing that crunching noise…Addy is ALWAYS bringing in crunchables from outback. All through out the Spring she would bring in seed pods dropped from the trees and proceed to chew them up under the dining room table.

I got up to take the “seed pod” from her mouth. When I tried to pull it out of her mouth I caught hold of something warm and squishy.

My senses were confused…How can a seed pod be warm and squishy???

I pulled my hand out of her mouth and realized there was a little, beady, black eyeball staring back at me. OMG, I am holding an eyeball. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Shivers ran up and down my spine. What is going on???? What is in her mouth?

I grabbed a napkin from the dining room table and wiped the squishy mass off my hand. Again, Eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Next, I went in for the kill…literally.

What I pulled from her mouth was a barely recognizable baby mouse.

It was at this point I started gagging and shrieking for Gary.

The mouse was now laying on the dining room floor (where I had dropped it in my delirium), wrapped in a napkin. Gary, my hero, came in and removed the mangled mess from my sights.

(I can seriously feel vomit rising in my throat as I write this.)

The kids come running in with glazed eyes (from watching too much TV) to find out what mom is freaking out about. I recount the story and they start cracking up.

Hello?!? Does know one else feel completely grossed out? (My life in a house with boys, ughhh)

It has taken me until now to re-tell this story; my senses were traumatized.

Addy turns 2 this week. I think I know what she wants for her birthday. Here’s a hint…it’s not pink and fluffy!

Follow this link for more "keeping it real" type blog entries:

No comments:

Post a Comment