Wednesday, March 16, 2011

From the Johnson Archives

Remember that list of fairies I posted the other day? Well, another fairy that will be visiting our house soon is the tooth fairy. Zack will have six teeth extracted on March 31st. Which brings me to the "archive":

Zachary had seven teeth pulled in 2004. I know what you are thinking...how many teeth is he going to have left? Let's just say he has a very overcrowded mouth...kind of like a shark.

Zack post extractions in 2005.



Anyway, Gary and I took Zack to the oral surgeon in June of 2004. I sat with him while they put the IV in his arm and watched him fall asleep (this, by the way, is Zack's worst memory of the whole ordeal; the needle poke of the IV). The nurse ushered me back to the waiting room where Gary was thumbing through a magazine. An anxious and excruciatingly long half hour later it was all over. The nurse came out and said we could come back to the operating room and see him. Well, anyone who knows Gary knows that he can't stomach that type of thing. So I said I would go, he could wait there. I walked into the extremely bright operating room to see my little eight year old lying on the operating table; barely awake with bloody gauze in his mouth. Is it getting hot in here or is it just me??? He mumbles, "Hhhhii, mmmmmm". Well, that is all it took to put me over the edge. Now, I know it is getting hot in here! I think I am just going to take off my jacket....all of a sudden the nurse is running over yelling "she is going down, get a chair". I think I will just rest my head on the table for a minute. Where is the oxygen?!? Next thing I know I am being wheeled into the recovery room (yes, hooked to the oxygen tank), where Zack is already waiting for me.(when did they move him?!?) So there I sat, in the recovery chair with Zack looking across the room at me from the "visitor" chair. This is about the time that the nurse went to the waiting room to proclaim to Gary, "Well, they are both doing better now!" You can imagine Gary's shock when he saw the two of us.... his son sporting a mouthful of gauze and his wife sniffing oxygen.


We both recovered from the event, but it will forever be apart of Johnson history!

Wish us luck for round two!

2 comments:

  1. I forgot about that. That makes me laugh. You should send mom and dad next time, so that you can Gary can stay on oxygen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad will have to go since I nearly passed out when Lori had her teeth pulled. I was sent out to the waiting room to recover.

    ReplyDelete